CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sep 25, 2009

My Training Background

To get to where I am today, I had studied under many excellent teachers, both local and foreign. My first and best instructor was an Australian, Mr Geoffrey Sweeney. I owe a lot to this 'sifu' as I learnt from him the philosophy of the new sports massage. All good therapists know --- the deeper the pressure, the more therapeutic it is. In other words, deep pressure is good! However, the reality is... any person who is extremely sensitive will feel more pain if deep pressure is applied to his or her already sore muscle. Mr Sweeney taught me how to minimise pain so that treatment is not painful. That is why my Sports massage is unlike any other Sports massage or hard massage. I have taken the best relaxation techniques from Swedish, Javanese, Chinese acupressure, yoga stretching, to create a new fusion style of Sports Massage. I would patent this style if I could :)


One learning point was: Do NOT press hard with all your strength and all your might on every muscle for every client. This mistake is made by many therapists. They may do it with good intentions but it will harm the client more than it helps him or her. It will only make people run away! Only the masochistic, those who enjoy pain, or those with an extremely high pain threshold, will love the massage therapist who 'whacks' the client. It is more important to make the client comfortable and treat the problem without causing mental stress and agony to this client.  Remember:  In Sports massage, the professional Sports massage therapist will treat the problem areas, not just give a massage. It must be therapeutic, otherwise it is not a genuine Sports massage.